Divi: the easiest WordPress theme to use
Divi: The best WordPress theme of all time!
With over 600.000 downloads, Divi is the most popular WordPress theme in the world. It is complete, easy to use and comes with more than 62 free templates. [Recommended]
Creating your free blog or any type of website with WordPress is not as complicated as some would like you to believe. In fact, it depends on the platform you use to do it. Personally, I recommend WordPress because it's the best platform in the world to easily create a WordPress blog.
No worries, in this guide I will show you all the steps of theinstallation and the configuration of your WordPress blog. That's not all, I'll also give you tips on choosing a domain name, finding the best WordPress theme and adding features using WordPress plugins. These plugins will allow you toattract more visitors, converting them to prospects more easily and monetize your blog.
What is WordPress?
WordPress is a CMS mean by that, a content management system which allows you to publish text, photos, audio and video files. It is designed to be easy to use, And that's the case. It does not matter whether you are a beginner or professional blogger, no coding knowledge is required to create a free WordPress blog ... no. WordPress is simply the best tool to build your website.
WordPress.org vs WordPress.com
The first thing to know before creating your WordPress blog is to understand the environment in which you will be working. This is important because there is a difference between the platform WordPress.com and the self-hosted version of WordPress that is usually called wordpress.org.
With WordPress.com ...
- It's WordPress that hosts the website for you
- You have less control over the files you publish
- Depending on the plan ordered, you have daily backups, virus protection and full blog maintenance
With WordPress.org ...
- You host your website yourself, or say rather you have the choice of the web host
- It's up to you to ensure the security, backups and maintenance of the website
- You have access to millions of WordPress plugins, which will allow you to give a unique side to your blog.
Personally, and if you are a beginner, I recommend the platform WordPress.comThis will allow you to avoid some costs because it is the team of WordPress who will take care of all the technical part for you.
But if you want to have more control, then you can opt for the self-hosted version that you can download here. More than 90% of professional bloggers prefer this option.
Where should you start?
Rather, what do you need to get started? Not much, just:
- A domain name
- A hosting account FastComet ou SiteGround (click on one of the links if you want to save money on your monthly subscription)
- The downloadable version of WordPress (completely free)
- A WordPress theme (some are free, but the best are paying)
- Some WordPress plugins (I will give you the list)
For a quick and professional installation, I recommend mazored.ca
Step #1: Find the right domain name
The domain name is your online identity. This is the word that people type to find your blog. It must be easy to remember. Take the time to find a domain name that recalls the content of your blog. For example, our blog is called blogpascher.com, and the purpose of our website is to offer thousands of free resources to WordPress users to help them easily create their WordPress blog, as it is the case in this guide.
Here are some characteristics of a good domain name:
- It must be short (maximum 20 letters)
- It must be easy to pronounce (example: BlogPasCher, Facebook)
- It should not contain too many hyphens (Www.le-blog-du-travail-a-domicile-sur-internet.com)
- Use keywords related to your activity (ex: blogsante.com)
- Use your first and last names if you do not have a precise idea (ex: johnsmith.com)
To learn more, I invite you to read the following article: How to Choose an Effective Domain Name for Your Blog
From the start, do not try to have the perfect domain name, otherwise you will spend days searching, and you will be frustrated not to find a domain name that everyone will love. Also, do not try to have absolutely all your keywords in the domain name. This is not the domain name that will SEO your blog, NO. Only quality content, published regularly, can allow you to have thousands of visitors to your blog.
Hint: write 10 domain names or more, then keep the 2 best for you. Your ideal domain name is among these two domain names.
Here are the common points between these companies:
- They are world-renowned companies whose experience is well established
- Hundreds of thousands of bloggers use their services every day
- Their interface is user-friendly and easy to use, so as a beginner, you should not have any problems
- If you have a problem, you can always count on excellent customer service available 24 / 7
- The servers are efficient, which will allow your blog to load quickly
- Prices are incredibly very low
- The domain name is free
- You are satisfied or refunded
Step #2: Create your WordPress blog
To get started, go to the FastComet website and click on gray button » SEE PLANS ".
If for some reason you do not see it, simply scroll down the page and you will see the different offers and their price.
I generally recommend to beginners to order the cheapest plan, namely the "StartSmart". There is no point in taking a more expensive plan when you start or if your blog or any other type of website you want to create does not generate more than 25.000 visits / months.
Le ScareRight is for people who want to create platforms for e-learning, dating or even mini-social networks. And if you want a faster website, take the Speedup.
For more details on the content of each plan, click on See Full Comparison. In any case, make your choice according to your needs. Once you have made your choice, click on "Start Now".
Step #3: Order your domain name
Now that you've selected your web hosting plan, it's time to register your domain name. As mentioned previously, with FastComet your domain name is free for life. No other provider offers such a service.
Enter your domain name without adding the extension because you can choose it in the section to the right of the form. For example, use " blogpascher " instead of " blogpascher.com " because the .com is already selected on the right of the form.
Once the domain name has been entered, click on the green button "Use This Domain" and you will be redirected to the next step.
On the next page, leave "I'm a new customer" checked because you are not yet a customer FastComet.
Easily create your website with Elementor
Elementor allows you to easily create any website design with a professional look. Stop paying expensive for what you can do yourself. [Free]
Fill in the required information.
On the Billing Cycle part, leave the second option "12 months" checked.
You can also choose the option "Domain Privacy" if you do not want others to see the name of the domain name owner by doing a WHOIS search.
Then go to the section "Configuration Options" to choose a server whose location is close to your country or that of your readers (for storing your data). This is important because if you are in France, with a server located in France or in a neighboring country, the site will load faster than if the same server was located in the USA.
Finally, add your credit card information or choose the Paypal option if you want to use this method of payment.
Once you have made the payment, you will be automatically redirected to your FastComet customer area. Now that the hosting account is set up, you can now install your WordPress blog.
If for any reason you are not redirected automatically to your FastComet hosting account, use the following link https://my.fastcomet.com/ to access the login page.
Once on the login page, fill in your login details and you will be redirected to your customer area.
Once connected, click on the second icon titled «Products», And then "My Products".
Then click "View details" and you will be redirected to the application management page.
Then click "Applications"
Then on "Install new"
Are you looking for the best WordPress themes and plugins?
Download the best plugins and WordPress themes on Envato and easily create your website. Already more than 49.720.000 downloads. [EXCLUSIVE]
Before completing the installation, FastComet will ask you to provide an email address, username and password for your WordPress blog. This information will be useful to connect to the WordPress dashboard (administrator management space).
Click on "Install Application"
Your WordPress Blog is now installed and the identifiers have been sent to your mailbox.
You can now connect to your WordPress blog ...
Now that you're connected to your blog, it's time to install your first WordPress theme.
Step #4: How to install and customize your WordPress theme
At this point, it's important to note that there are two types of WordPress themes:
- free and the Premium (Paying).
Option #1: Free WordPress Themes
Where to find free WordPress themes?
Free WordPress Themes are good for starters if you are a beginner blogger, unfortunately they still lack many features that only a paid theme offers.
To install a free theme, go to the black menu of your dashboard, on the left of the screen -> click "Appearance" then "Themes" and finally on " Add ". On the new page, hover over an image and click " preview " to preview the theme.
Once your choice is made, simply click "Install", And then "Activate" and There you go. Your new WordPress theme is finally installed and ready to use. To personalize it, go to Appearence -> Personalize.
If you bought a premium theme:
- Go to Appearence » Topics:
- Click on "Upload a theme"
- Choose the ZIP file for your theme on your computer and click install
- Activate your theme and that's it!
You might ask yourself: Why should I install a paid theme while WordPress has thousands of free themes?
The answer is simple because Unlike free themes, Premium WordPress themes offer the following benefits:
- They are more complete
- They are regularly updated
- They offer assistance
- They are also used by over 97% of people who run profitable blogs
#2 option: Save a lot of time and give your blog a better design with a Premium WordPress theme
Here are some good places to buy premium WordPress themes:
Themeforest: It's the best platform in the world to find WordPress themes for your blog. Click here to be redirected directly to the topic category for blogs and ezines.
ElegantThemes: Discover DIVI, the best WordPress theme to create any type of blog or website for individuals and businesses. The site currently offers 20% discount.
Here are some themes I recommend
Once your WordPress theme has been bought and unzipped, go to the black menu of your dashboard, on the left side of the screen -> click "Appearance" then "Themes" and finally on " Add ". On the new page, click "Upload a theme",
Step #5: Install WordPress plugins to add features to your blog
While themes manage the look of your website, WordPress plugins allow them to add additional features to your blog.
WordPress plugins allow you, for example, to add a contact form, a social sharing button, an online store, an e-learning system and much more. In fact, WordPress has become popular thanks to plugins.
Where to find WordPress plugins?
As for WordPress themes, you have the choice between free and paid WordPress plugins.
WordPress offers a official directory more than 1 millions of WordPress plugins that you can install directly from your WordPress dashboard.
I recommend the platforms below:
Easily create your Online Store
Download free WooCommerce, the best e-commerce plugins to sell your physical and digital products on WordPress. [Recommended]
To help you easily find the right plugins, the ones used by most successful bloggers, here's a secret list:
- All In One SEO Pack: Optimize your SEO of your blog (Free)
- Monarch: Adds social sharing buttons on the blog (Premium)
- Bloom: add email capture forms (Premium)
- WP Rocket: Speed up the loading speed of your blog (Premium)
- Woocommerce: Add the e-commerce feature on your WordPress blog
- Jetpack: View statistics, share buttons, and more (Free)
- VaultPress: Allows you to fully back up your website (Premium)
- Yellow Pencil: Allows you to customize the design of your blog, without touching the code (Premium)
- Armember: Protect the content of your blog, and create a membership site (Premium)
- Elementor: Allows you to create layouts with a professional design (Free)
- WPForms: Create powerful contact forms, quizzes and polls (Premium)
- Mailster: Add a powerful newsletter system to your blog (Premium)
You will find the best plugin platforms in Clicking HERE.
How to install a WordPress plugin
Once you've found a WordPress plugin that you like, here's how to install it:
Go to the section Extensions → add a new
If you found a plugin on WordPress.org
- Type the name of the plugin in the search form
- Click on install now
- Wait for WordPress to install the plugin, and then click Enable
If you bought a Premium plugin:
- Go to extensions » add
- Click on "Upload an extension" and upload the ZIP file
- Activate your plugin and that's it
At this point, you have a fully functional WordPress blog. And if you use the list of plugins mentioned above, then you will have everything you need to develop your blog, attract visitors and monetize your WordPress site.
To help you go further, here are some recommended tutorials:
- How to write a blog article
- How to monetize your blog
- How to choose a profitable niche for your blog
That's it for this guide reserved for the creation of a WordPress blog. Feel free to leave a comment or share this guide on your favorite social networks.